Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I'm A Convert to Organized Religion

We didn't live in Simi Valley very long. From beginning to end it was a short three years but, oh how I loved the people I met there. My husband's residency at UCLA Northridge was very time-consuming so my neighbors and congregation members became my family in his absence. We treasured the safety of the cul-de-sac as our children played for hours just outside our doors. My toddler learned to ride a two-wheeler in one afternoon with the help of the gang. Such good times.

One day I took one of my cul-de-sac friends to church. She had shared so much of life's wisdom with me I wanted to share mine with her. The lesson that day was given by a very big woman with a beautiful spirit inside. Her thoughts were so sweetly delivered as she expressed her love for her children and neighbors. I was sure my friend, who shares such similar views, would be warmed by the message. Instead, when we reached the car, she turned to me and said, "I don't know how I feel about your church. I mean, I would never choose to be friends with her."

Simi Valley Chapel
My initial reaction was surprise at the quick judgment she had made about the teacher. Having already observed her endless tolerance for so many differing people, beliefs and lifestyles, it was so unlike her I was speechless for a minute. I had a flood of emotions... from defensiveness to understanding... and everything in-between. What came out was, "Well, thank you for coming with me. I was glad to have you with me and for my friends to meet you."

Mormon's Lend Helping Hand in the Simi Valley Library



I pondered that statement for quite some time and became converted to the power of organized religion. It was true that I would not have sought out many of the friends I had made in church initially, but it was sobering to consider the huge loss I would have felt in my life if I had not met them, especially that sweet teacher. I had already learned to love her for the example she was to me in constant service to others. She was always the first one to sign up to help, doing tasks that others would have avoided. She was rearing her boys without the help of a husband as well and I immediately identified with the sacrifice her service meant. I thought of the organized way the Relief Society and Priesthood care for each other, ensuring all an opportunity to care and be cared for through Visiting Teaching and Home Teaching.


I concluded that my life had been immeasurably blessed by meeting and learning to love all those dear friends in Simi Valley. I have learned from each church member I have ever worked with. As another dear friend used to say, "You can learn just as much from a bad example as a good one," poking fun at herself if I ever complimented her, but she's right. It's true.

I loved my Visiting Teachers in my old ward!
When our stake was divided into ten wards from eight, a wise friend observed, "There aren't many religions that would call a meeting to announce new boundaries and get over a thousand raised hands in total support." That is what happened the day our Stake President announced two new wards being formed... and we were living within new ward boundaries. Having moved here only four years ago, I was just beginning to enjoy the comfort of the familiar families in our present ward. I was more than a little reluctant to leave them, dreading the change. Now that several months have passed in our new building and congregation, I have learned all over again how much our lives can be enriched by new friends and experiences. I am learning to love a LOT of new friends. There is so much potential for growth in change, if we allow it.

Families are God's way of organizing the world! He sends us with a group of people that we can learn the very most from and the love grows from the shared experiences and service to one another.... a good post for another day.


2 comments: