Sunday, September 28, 2014

What Do You Love More Than God?


The answer might be WHATEVER YOU THINK ABOUT MOST!!!


I asked myself that question a few years ago and had some spiritual guidance that resulted in my making a commitment to put the Lord FIRST in my life in one very easy specific way! Now, there are some "covenants" I have made with the Lord that are impossible for me to break. I know myself well enough that it would be easier for me to call my first step toward a permanent change in my life a "commitment" instead of "covenant."

Let me first acknowledge that I am NOT perfect in this commitment, but before I do ANYTHING on my phone or computer I try to read the scriptures. Sometimes it's a couple verses or sometimes if I really need spiritual grounding, it's chapters. The Book of Mormon is my favorite book of scripture, but no matter which book I'm reading, something stands out in regards to a problem or challenge or situation I'm concerned about. Here are three gems recently. 



Developing Patience and Faith

The Lord will chasten His people. He will try our patience with looooong trials and allow us to develop the virtue faith and trust in Him so that we may be "lifted up" at the last day.
<----

How COOL that the Atonement not only removes our sins, but we can also let go of the guilt! ------->





Our faith and good works can bring us PEACE from this time forth and forever!
<-----

Our answers and reassurances may come in small ways unnoticed if we are not looking for them. In the early Kirtland days of the church the Saints had INCREDIBLE experiences. They saw angels, spoke in tongues, and watched flames ascend from the temple spires! The journals record they felt like they could sacrifice ANYTHING to retain the feeling of "being in the presence of The Lord" and yet when the opportunity to become prosperous through land speculation as the country moved West there were MANY Saints who became distracted and left the church. HALF of the Quorum of the 12 fell to greed's evil influence! 






In speaking of this situation years later the prophet Lorenzo Snow said "We have got to love God more than we love the world. If we in our manner, habits and dealings imitate the world, thereby identifying with the world, do we think God will give us the blessings we desire? No, he will not!"

Now in 2014, more than ever, we are constantly, without even trying, bombarded with worldly things. We have the choice to help the Lord do as the prophet Jeremiah says, "put his law in their inward parts and write it in their hearts" by reading our scriptures and next week we can listen to conference and then read the talks given over and over again until they are "written in our hearts.". 

One of the most touching scriptures is in the Book of Mormon where the Lamonite King tells Ammon "I would give up all my sins to know God!"


I hope you will take the time to ask yourself what you need to give up to know God and allow him to "write in your hearts" and then act on those impressions. I promise you that if nothing else, you will receive peace and confidence and that is no small thing! 

(Given at Heber Valley Campground, July 2014)

2 comments: