Saturday, June 18, 2016

Doing Good

Sister Fisher and Deem
Reading melanoma survivor blogs today... surprisingly few to read... or maybe not surprisingly if you consider the eventual outcome of every stage 4 melanoma patient. So... sometimes I really appreciate having an obvious direct experience to show I still have purpose and I want to share it. 

THREE YEAR melanoma survivor from first diagnosis. Two surgeries and 10 months of immunothrapy later I am a ONE year survivor of stage 4 metastatic melanoma. At this point in time I am relying only my own immune system to find and attack melanoma. I am taking steroids to halt the side effects from the immunotherapy for another three weeks and enjoying feeling pretty good.

Jesus went about doing good. 
(Acts 10:38)

I had been out and about for hours, running through a list of errands with one after another unavoidable delay. I was tired and anxious to get home as I drove down Main Street just before 9 pm one night last week. The sight of two girls striding purposefully down the sidewalk in the growing dusk caught my eyes. I recognized the sister missionaries, still miles from their home and debated for just a second whether to stop and offer them a ride. 

Guilt raced through my heart, "Girl, you pray for opportunities to serve every day, don't you dare miss this one." I turned the car around, leaning my head out the window to see if they wanted a ride home. Sister Friendly called out, "Oh YES! We were JUST praying someone would stop and offer us a ride!"

It felt SO GOOD to know that through those seemingly frustrating delays, Heavenly Father had placed me right where I could help serve his precious missionaries. I was SO GLAD that I stopped to help them and have the opportunity to tell them how miraculous it was that I was led right to them in their moment of need. I was grateful I could bear testimony that Heavenly Father was aware of their needs. It feels GREAT to be the answer to someone's prayers!

I have no idea how long I will feel good when the steroid treatment is over or how long it will be before melanoma spreads again. I just don't know SO MANY THINGS! But I do know that Heavenly Father is aware of all of us and directing our lives in a way that we can learn all we need to learn and become worthy to live with Him forever. I pray that anything I need to endure I will be able to endure with dignity and courage and continue "doing good."



6 comments:

  1. I've watched you go about "doing good" your entire life! You have always been, and will always be, a prime example of someone who uses their time to serve others whenever possible. I love you!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Raquel! Thank you for believing in me!!! I LOVE YOU TOO!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Raquel. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sisters are the total bomb! Thank you for reading and commenting and always being there for me. I LOVE YOU TOO!!!

      Delete
  3. Yep. Watched you serving forever. You've always been an incredible example to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you are following in our footsteps and doing it beautifully! Thank you for being a wonderful and beloved cheerleader Adrienne! I LOVE YOU TOO!!!

      Delete