Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Be Still

0ne of my favorite fall traditions is going to visit my Minnesota grandchildren over Halloween. This year my only granddaughter came to visit and join in the fun with her four cousins! I took my two beloved four year olds out to play in the backyard forest, surrounded by all you would ever want in the way of fall color. The bright green maple leaves had changed to the most welcome of reds and yellows as the temperatures dropped, but today was the perfect temperature between summer and winter. We were having a blast with three rakes, trying not to hit each other with our vigorous strokes. "I can make a BIG pile now because I am FOUR years old!"

We made a pile big enough for them to take turns running and jumping in the most interesting and unique ways they could think of: "This is my Ninja run!" "This is MY Ninja run!" I took many minutes of hilarious videos to enjoy later when I'm at home and only the memories remain.

"Bury us in the leaves, Nana," they cried! I delighted in their adorable faces framed by picture perfect fall leaves. I gently put a leaf on each of their foreheads and told them to "be still" while I took a picture. It tickled and they thought it was the most hysterical thing to sit there trying not to move. The leaves were SO inviting I had them cover me up as well. Childhood memories flooded in as I smelled the crunchy leaves and peered up at the sky through the leaf mosaic. I took a mental picture of the moment and thought about the words, "Be still." The phrase came into my mind with this scripture I read recently:

Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed and be still. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness and put your trust in the Lord. 
Psalms 4:4-5 

This is all I can do. I am in awe of the election outcome. I am hopeful for the country and trust that our prayers are reaching the ears of the Lord. I am hopeful for greater understanding between family and friends, cities and towns, and state to states.
I do not know the future nor can I change it, but I'm physically doing really well without any medications at all, truly a medical and spiritual miracle. I don't know how many more Halloweens I will have. Maybe a lot! But for now, I will "be still" and with the Spirit's help, commune with my own heart. I will continue to trust in God as the light draws me forward, offering the sacrifices of righteousness, as best I can to my understanding. 
It's really just a little thing, but over time it has become a big thing. Each month that I still live and breathe increases my trust in God and the reasons I am finding to make my life meaningful. I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and Brother as companions throughout my life. I hope my heart can "commune" the love and gratitude I feel for them and convey their love to others. I'm praying this for all of us. Why not believe? 

"To the degree that we reject Him or His teachings we are on our own."




No comments:

Post a Comment