Monday, July 3, 2017

Our Love


Where do you start when something like this happens? You start by remembering and recording tender mercies that remind you that God has been there all along. The day of my first surgery we were in the pre-op room and three different nurses had tried and not succeeded in putting in an IV line. They gave up and let the surgeon put it in when I was under anesthesia and it wouldn't hurt, or at least I wouldn't feel it. 

When they left, Mike took my hand to comfort me and suddenly there was a soft strain of music floating through the room. Paul Cardall's "Remember Our Love" (click here to listen) inexplicably began playing from his backpack sitting untouched on the floor. It has become our theme song and never fails to pull me back to feeling faith and peace about everything. We planned a trip then and finding it very therapeutic to retreat to regroup, have continued this practice each time we receive disappointing news.

RollerCoaster or Tower of Terror?
When I expressed what a four year roller coaster this journey has been my sweet husband said, "Well, at least it hasn't been a sudden fall and we have had some hopeful ups as well as disappointing downs. I feel very blessed to have been given really good time since your first diagnosis. I don't know any stage four melanoma patients that have lived this long. I think we need to list the "Facts" from the appointment before we start speculating or go off on tangents." So he listed and I made notes:

Facts

The melanoma is growing in multiple places now (I added that it is not threatening any body systems at this time but he didn't consider that a 'fact' because we only scanned my torso and we don't know what is happening in my brain.)

There is no way to stop the melanoma. Side effects of Pembro are too severe. Pembro was good while it lasted but it's usefulness has ended. It will take a significant time to get over the side effects of Pembro.

Over the next year chemotherapy could possibly reduce some suffering but will not extend life expectancy. Chemotherapy has side effects that cause suffering and decreases quality of life. The benefits of chemotherapy do not appear to outweigh the side effects.

Quality of life right now is good and a decision to not proceed with chemotherapy was made today. Recommendations from the doctors were to "live it up" and enjoy the summer, which we plan to do, and we will scan again in August.



This time, as in the two previous bad news appointments, we traveled to Oregon. We headed off that weekend without a sure plan of exactly where we were going but of course, God guided us to a beach house on the Oregon coast where the peaceful waves soothed our raw nerves and restored the peace we needed. My husband is very calm and reassuring, in spite of his own anguish at losing me to such an insidious terminal illness. Being a physician and yet not able to do one thing to prevent this cancer from taking over my body has been devastating for him. 

Someone listening to our conversations would be surprised at our morbid humor but it helps. He started listing all the things I won't have to deal with and with each one we laughed harder and harder, releasing all the pent up stress and anxiety. 
  
"Just think babe, you won't ever get old or wrinkled, er.. more wrinkles! ... You don't need to wear sunscreen!  ... You'll never have another kind of cancer! You were so worried about a slow death from Multiple Sclerosis complications and now you don't have to worry about that! ... No more fear of flying! You'll never be a widow! You'll never have Alzheimers! 

No more 
Mammograms or Colonoscopies
Joint replacements just aren't in your future. 
Neither are Cataracts or 
Macular Degeneration
Bunions
Toe fungus
...
You don't have to worry about the triple H:
Hyperactive Bladder
Hearing Aids
Heart Attacks
...
You'll never have the four Ds: diabetes, dementia, dentures and depends!
Then I added "You mean the five Ds, you forgot depilatories!"
Then he said, "What are depilatories?" (He actually said "delipatories?" :)

And last of all.... you won't have to worry about the Apocalypse... or another Election, whichever comes first.

Photo Credits: Hannah Beus Van Bibber
He is perfect for me. I don't know what I would do without him. Because I don't know if I'll be here on our 40th anniversary this December, I'm going to just take a minute to sing his praises now. 

I have always been a very fortunate woman and a most blessed wife. He completes me in every way and I love him with all my heart. A blessing I received at 16 years of age was fulfilled when I met and married a "choice young man who would want to care for me all the days of my life." He has demonstrated for 39 and a half years that he WANTS to take care of me. Anything I've ever been interested in or wanted to accomplish he has tried to facilitate. He has always expressed love and gratitude for me and valued my contribution to our family. He has cherished our children and provided everything we could ever need and more. Lately, I've been a very expensive liability to him but he's never once complained, just repeatedly said, "As long as you're alive, I'm happy." Now that our mortal life together will come to an end all too soon, knowing that we will be together eternally means everything.





















Babies - just the beginning...


































Mike brought these "Alive" vitamins home and asked me to start taking them with my daily handful, haha! So completely focused on extending my life. Love him!




Walking on the soft sand in the shallow waves, feeling led and watched over by God in every step of this cancer journey was comforting. I loved feeling the earthly pleasures of the wind on my face and the sand between my toes. I don't know what comes next but I know that God will "manage the messiness" and as my good friend, Karen Talbot, says, "I will face it with angels on every side. 
What could be better than that?"


24 comments:

  1. I haven't the words..... just love you both so much! 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wise words have led me to this point dear sister. I could't love you more! Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I love you both! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting dear sister who has shaped my thoughts in more ways that you know! Love you too!

      Delete
  3. I love you! Your Strength, your Humor, your goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned from the best! Thank you and lots of LOVE!!!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Debbie for your insight,inspiration,love and devotion to all that is important. Eternally...this life is but a moment. Thank goodness. You have done well dear friend. Much love, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Debbie for your insight,inspiration,love and devotion to all that is important. Eternally...this life is but a moment. Thank goodness. You have done well dear friend. Much love, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With great examples all around. Thank your for sharing your love and testimony! Love you too!

      Delete
  6. I will save these inspirational thoughts forever. You have fought such a good fight. You are an amazing example for all of us. Thank you. I love you dear lady. God be with you till......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE WILL MEET AGAIN!!! I KNOW IT! Love you Sylvia!

      Delete
  7. So absolutely beautiful in every way.❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dena! Sending lots of love! To your Dad too!

      Delete
  8. Oh my beautiful Aunt Debbie. I am reading this with tears streaming down my face. Thank you for your faith and amazing eternal perspective. No one could ever doubt that while you don't know what the future holds, you certainly know who holds your future. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Allison, how beautifully put! I love it and I LOVE YOU!!!

      Delete
  9. Oh how I love this post and the two of you! And these pictures! I agree with Allison. Tears streaming down my face as I read this. You do indeed know who hold your future! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back atcha dear sister!!! Don't know what I'd do without you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love you so much. Thank you for taking time to write your thoughts, share these tender mercies, and bear testimony. You are beautiful and my hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love YOU right back! You are a beautiful wife and mother and have already done so many heroic things! I'm so proud to know you and be related even! Sending love and hugs in abundance! XOXO

      Delete
  12. Your faith, optimism, and humor inspire me! You are loved!!! And so is Uncle Mike:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I will pass along a hug to Mike, with pleasure ;) You are such a love and I could say the same thing about you! You inspire me as well! Keep it up darlin'! I want to get a good catch-up convo soon! XOXO

      Delete
  13. Debbie, I dont know how you have stayed so strong going through so many ups and downs. It really is a testament of your faithfulness and belief in the here after. How else could one endure so much with love, appreciation of so much, a sense of humor and cheerfulness. What a pure example of how we should all endure hard things. It was so wonderful to catch up in February after so many years. So good to see Megan and your mom as well. Your family will always have a soft spot in my heart for the times Lou Lou and I spent time with you all during those summers years ago! So many happy memories but most of all your family made me feel loved, and still do! Love you Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful encouraging letter! Thank you Marilee, for taking the time to read and comment! It lifted my heart this morning and reminded me of such heartwarming memories as well! You are a doll! Sending love and hugs!

      Delete