Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The Loves of Debbie or Debbie's Loves

Family Photo
I've really missed teaching Seminary. It possibly might have been my favorite calling in the church. I LOVED it! Having a reason to study gospel principles so you can share what you've learned is a treasured blessing. It takes innate curiosity and incredible self discipline to study, just for the stake of studying... unless you go to BYU Education Week, always held the 3rd week of August. They bring experts in so many fields to the school, click here for schedule options -->  https://educationweek.byu.edu/ and then invite anyone with a sincere desire to come and fill their hearts and minds with knowledge. The whole campus is filled with an air of eager happiness and you can't help but be inspired to learn. I wanted to clone myself so I could attend multiple classes at once. It's something marvelous to experience if you can. 

My next LOVE is my family. The day we returned from visiting our latest grandson I got a text from my sister, Megan, telling me to pack a sleeping bag, pillow, and whatever I would need for 2 days. What an unexpected surprise! She was taking me to spend the rest of Education Week with my mother and the rest of my sisters! We were so happy to be all together! When they planned it, they could not fathom that I would still be alive but I WAS alive, very capable of taking care of myself and thrilled to have this opportunity. Each of my sisters was happy to help wheelchair me to classes. I LOVE each one of them, my mother and brother, beyond expression. 


The Williams Family - August 2018
One of the classes I LOVED was about evidences of the truth of the Book of Mormon by Brad Wilcox. 
He started the class by reminding us that the Smithsonian Institution awarded Joseph Smith first place of the top 100 most influential religious leaders ever. The Book of Mormon is physical, tangible evidence that he was what he said he was. Many others established churches but no one produced a book they could be judged by. And judged Joseph has been, throughout the years, each time proving to be a seer and revelator in modern times. Click here to read his account.


lds.org
Brother Wilcox had us say "The Book of Mormon" out loud a couple of times and then reminded us that this is not the way English is spoken. We would usually have said, "Mormon's Book" or "Nephi's plates" or "Laban's Sword" and yet the Book of Mormon, as translated by Joseph Smith, knew this fact about ancient Hebrew syntax? I don't think so. Notes from the Deseret News article about the class say "Wilcox pointed out that even the title, "The Book of Mormon," could be taken as evidence. Throughout the book, possessives are described this way: Plates of Brass. Sword of Laban. Priests of Noah. Brother of Jared. And so forth.
  • Then Wilcox gave an imaginary conversation with a non member:
  • "Look, maybe that's just the way Joseph Smith talked."
  • "Oh, yeah, sure. Sure, that is how Joseph Smith talked: 'Come into the house of my father. We can eat the food of my mother. We can play with the sister of my brother."
  • Why did he write that way then? It is how the people in the Book of Mormon talked.
  • John Bytheway, also presenting that day, discussed the differences in the ancient concepts of thieves and robbers. Thieves were punished by the community with restitution as part of the punishment. Robbers, however, were outside the community and dealt with by swift military action and immediate justice. The Book of Mormon makes this distinction — for example in how Laban announces that Laman is a robber and he will slay him (1 Nephi 3:13).
  • Wilcox then talked about the ancient site of Nahom — a place the Book of Mormon describes in the old world (1 Nephi 16:34). Archeological evidence — including an altar with the name inscribed upon it — was found in the 1990s, he said.
  • Bytheway noted how the description of Bountiful and its location match on-the-ground geography unknown to Joseph Smith and his contemporaries in America (1 Nephi 17: 5-7).

The first paragraph of the Book of Mormon is called a colophone, a paragraph establishing the credentials of the writer. See 1 Nephi 1:1  As early as the 6th century A.D., Egyptian scribes began their writings with colophones. I don't believe that Joseph Smith could have possibly known about colophones and that beginning the Book of Mormon with one would help prove its authenticity hundreds of years later. click here to read more about colophones

Here is a link to an article in LDS Living magazine with more evidences of the truth of the Book of Mormon and yet the author states it is only the tip of the iceberg that a serious study of evidences would unearth. Click here to read LDS Living Article


I know the Book of Mormon is true, 
not because of physical evidences which keep coming to light, but because I have read it. I began reading it in high school and then in college I read it again, looking deeper into its meanings. I had one of the most spiritual confirmations of my life while reading it with "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmadge. 

When my children were small I purchased a Book of Mormon study guide specifically to help me understand even more. I felt the fulfillment of the promise in the Beatitudes: bless those that hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled. I was filled with an unshakeable testimony of the Book of Mormon and understood why they called it the "keystone" of our religion. If the book is true then everything about it's existence is true. Read and try it for yourself. Moroni 10:4 has the promise for you. Moroni's Promise in 10:4

After General Conference in 1980 I felt an incredible urge to bring these promises into my home. Our family began regularly reading the Book of Mormon and I can testify that if we opened our hearts to these blessings and trusted in the Lord, we received the promises listed below:


The Lord's Promises to You
1.  The spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. 
2.  The spirit of reverence will increase. 
3.  Mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. 
4.  The spirit of contention will depart. 
5.  Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. 
6.  Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. 
7.  Righteousness will increase. 
8.  Faith, hope, and charity--the pure love of Christ--will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
from this website. Click here for many other promises as well.


Now as I navigate the end of life and its "messiness" I stand steady and immoveable with a deep love and testimony of the Book of Mormon and our prophet to guide the way. Although the composer is not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, this song by Bart Millard says the words of my heart:





1 comment:

  1. It was such a gift to be together as a family. I echo your love and testimony of the Book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete