Sunday, October 19, 2014

Feeling Lost or Stranded?

Beacons in Our Life
(Talk given by Michael L. Beus, Farmington Utah North Stake Conference, June 2014)


Have you ever felt lost in the dark and stranded all alone?
Maybe you have felt misplaced or forgotten?
Have you ever wondered, "What just happened?"
"What is to become of me or my family?"

Some years ago when my oldest son was 17, he and my youngest son, and my nephew and I, climbed into an old small airplane. It had only 4 seats, one for each of us. We were so excited to attend the largest flying event in the United States, held in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.The instruments to navigate were also old and I had planned to purchase a new radio and what was then, new technology, a GPS, once we arrived at the air show. Being without reliable instruments, I had arranged to follow a good friend who was an experienced pilot, who would lead the way in his plane. It all sounded so perfect.


We took off together in the evening and flew eastward with the sun setting behind us. Our first fuel stop would be in the middle of Wyoming, just 2 hours away. All was well for the first hour and then as the sun began to fade.... I lost sight of him in the haze. No worries I thought, I had a hand-held radio, so I could still talk to him. 

Wrong. Unfortunately, the radio communication with my friend disappeared at the same time I lost visual contact with his plane's flashing beacon.

WHAT NEXT???? Darkness came quickly and we felt stranded in the sky. I knew we had been heading toward Rawlins, Wyoming, but I had counted on my friend to guide me. The only navigational equipment my airplane had was an old radio receiver designed to pick up signals from ground beacons scattered across each state. FORTUNATELY, it worked when I turned it on and I began to search for a beacon signal that would allow me to locate our position.


I waited for the receiver to pick up the signal....but nothing happened. WHAT TO DO NOW??.. I looked at the map and could only approximate where we must be and where the nearest beacon should be. I changed course to head in that direction. With mountains now invisible in the darkness, I had to have that signal to pin point where we were. We kept flying on, but the signal STILL did not come. Anxiety began to build.


Wikipedia: Ground Radio Beacon (VOR)
Eventually.....TO MY GREAT RELIEF....the needle started to move as it picked up the ground signal from the nearest VOR. 
NOW, with this confirmation, I was able to determine where we were and aim the little plane toward where the next beacon should be. As we flew beyond this beacon's reach, we lost its signal and for a time we were between signals over the very dark desert of Wyoming. There was nothing, no city lights, no car head lights, nothing but darkness.

I didn't know how long it would take to pick up the next beacon signal. I wondered what I would do if the receiver didn't pick it up or if the beacon was even working? WHAT IF, WHAT IF.... I was hoping and praying our small plane flying through the dark night would remain safely on course to the next beacon.

It was during this time of waiting for the next signal I experienced what it feels like to have your mouth go completely dry from SHEER FEAR. Some call it cotton mouth. I was SO scared. I remember looking at the 3 boys with me, 2 young priests and a little deacon, unaware of the danger they were in. I remember so well, asking the Lord TO PLEASE help us find our way, these boys need to grow up, serve missions, marry and have families of their own. Please help me make good decisions so we can arrive safely. It was very a humbling experience.


After what seemed like an eternity, another signal did appear and I knew again we were on the right course. One more beacon to find and we would be at our destination.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431&page=78

The last beacon was not a radio signal, but a flashing light at the airport's runway. When we saw it, I was SO relieved because that was where we could finally land the plane and connect with my now very concerned friend. It had taken a long time, but we had made it. We had ZIG ZAGGED across the night skies of Central Wyoming guided by beacons to reach our destination. I was so very grateful when we were finally safe on the ground. Prayers had been answered that night. 


There are a number of things that can be learned from this experience. The FIRST GUIDING BEACON had been my friend, the more experienced pilot and the visual of his plane in front of us. We were able to see and talk to him until suddenly we couldn't. It happened so fast. Visual and audio communication gone! Just like that. WHAT NEXT???? Because it was pitch black all around us, we needed true direction to avoid finding the mountains the hard way.... pun intended. We had to look for another source as a beacon. This was the radio signal from the beacons located on the ground. With their signal we felt confident we could proceed on. Eventually, we were able to see the flashing light next to the runway, a final beacon, telling us where we could land and be safe at last!!!

Now, I go back to the questions I asked in the beginning:
Have you ever felt lost in the dark and stranded all alone?
Have you ever felt like your path might be zigging or even zagging?
Maybe you have felt misplaced or forgotten?
Have you ever wondered, "What just happened?"
"What is to become of me or my family?"

President Uchdorf, in a Gen. Conf. address (April 2011) said, "... It is part of our condition as mortal beings to sometimes feel as though we are surrounded by darkness. We might have lost a loved one; a child might have strayed; we might have received a troubling medical diagnosis; we might have employment challenges and be burdened by doubts or fears; or we might feel alone or unloved. But even though we may feel lost in the midst of our current circumstances, God promises the hope of His light—He promises to illuminate the way before us and show us the way out of darkness."

In life's journey amid the many challenges, there are reassuring beacons the Lord has set up to guide and help us find our course if we are lost. 

1. One beacon would be righteous leaders. These may include parents, teachers, ward leaders, and so on. We can see and talk to them, just like I could see and talk to my friend flying before me as I started our flight. Righteous leaders, in all the various responsibilities function as guiding beacons. Church leaders are under the direction of the living prophet, 


www.lds.org
President Thomas S. Monson, who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys. He with his counselors and the Quorum of the 12 Apostles are called to serve as prophets, seers and revelators. They are beacons to the world.They speak the will of the Lord: "Doctrine and Covenants 1:38–39 “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.”
The Primary song, Follow the Prophet, has great wisdom for those who might feel lost: Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; don't go astray.

Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet; he knows the way.   This counsel is protective!


2. Next.... Sometimes, we may find ourselves confronted with a challenge and for various reasons, do not have visual or audio contact with our beacon leaders. My situation on that dark night over Wyoming was terrifying when I lost contact with my friend. Maybe you have sometime in your life felt alone or frightened by the darkness and needed comfort. A beacon each baptized member receives, is the Holy Ghost, to guide and comfort you in your journey. It is a sort of internal beacon to be felt and to indicate a safe direction. In the Book of John, the Savior says, 
"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, 
that he may abide with you for ever." (John 14:16)
He will “guide you into all truth” (John 16:13)
“teach you all things” (John 14:26) and 
“shall testify of me” (John 15:26).

Through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, this beacon will help you recognize and understand truth and be guided to in your decisions. The privilege of enjoying His constant companionship and feeling the calming comfort from Him is conditional upon obedience and faithfulness. 
John 14:27 
Peace I leave with you, 
my peace I give unto you: 
not as the world giveth, give I unto you. 
Let not your heart be troubled, 
neither let it be afraid.
page2image37344

3. There are other beacons, dotted around the globe shining forth light, some on hill tops. Inside is found direction, truth beckoning us to come and receive a fullness of light. These temples are, in President Monson's words, "Beacons to the world... an expression of our testimony that God lives and desires to bless us. Each of our temples is an expression of our testimony that life beyond the grave is as real and as certain as is our life here on earth."

Earthly life is not easy. We need all the help and protection we can get. President Monson goes on to say: "...The world can be a challenging and difficult place in which to live. We are often surrounded by that which would drag us down. As you and I go to the holy houses of God, as we remember the covenants we make within, we will be more able to bear every trial and to overcome each temptation. In this sacred sanctuary we will find peace; we will be renewed and fortified."

President Monson asks:..."Why are so many willing to give so much in order to receive the blessings of the temple? He answers this saying: "Those who understand the eternal blessings which come from the temple know that no sacrifice is too great, no price too heavy, no struggle too difficult in order to receive those blessings... They understand that the saving ordinances received in the temple that permit us to someday return to our Heavenly Father in an eternal family relationship and to be endowed with blessings and power from on high are worth every sacrifice and every effort."

4. Lastly, that final beacon I saw rotating in the darkness of night next to the runway, showing me where to land safely, was a relief I will never forget.
Wikipedia 
The Savior is the ultimate of all beacons we look to. 
It reads in John 8: 12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying.
I am the light of the world: 
he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, 
but shall have the light of life.

The Savior's Atonement is a beacon 
that shines brightly towards every mortal soul to have ever lived. 
The Atonement is, as Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated, 
"the center and core and heart of revealed religion. 
It is indeed the keystone of Christianity 
and the foundation of a spiritual life. 
It is the beacon light for a benighted world. 
It is the fountain from which all hopes spring."

The Atonement is our singular hope for a meaningful life. "The Atonement not only rescues us but also exemplifies Jesus's character. His character can guide us, beacon-like, in the midst of our own afflictions, since these constitute the necessary crucible for the further refining and confirmation of our own character."  (-Neal Maxwell) 

Conclusion The phrase "...Come, follow meis our invitation from the Savior. He is that bright beacon we look to for direction and guidance home to our Father in Heaven. Our journey is challenging. We have all been given weaknesses with the opportunity to become stronger if we humble ourselves and have faith (Ether 12:27). We may feel lost and alone at times, but we will never be without beacons around us that have been strategically placed to give us direction and keep us safe. If we lose sight or stray from our course, we have help to get back on track. 1) Righteous leaders, 2) the comforter 3) temples are powerful beacons whose signals are strong if we are receptive, and 4) the Savior. In Alma 37:44 it states " ...give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you (a) straight course to eternal bliss." What has he said, we must do: John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

I bear testimony that He is the everlasting beacon, the light and life of this world and the eternal world to come. His Atonement is real and it is for all who believe and obey His word. In His name, amen.
page3image39344

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful talk!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I will tell him. Love you!!!!

      Delete