Wednesday, October 8, 2014

There are Melodies In Each Of Us

Years ago I taught a lesson about how each of us are musical instruments in God's Symphony, creating a masterpiece as we contribute our unique sound in ways that only we can, day after day… year after year…

When I heard David Archuleta's new song it resonated (pun intended) within my soul, saying lyrically everything I'd been thinking! I wanted to share it's beauty with anyone who hasn't heard it yet!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XVPWxwfJ8M


"Keep listening and pretty soon you'll figure out your part. Everyone plays a piece and there are melodies in each one of us. Oh, it's glorious!"


I love the sound of a cello. So full and rich. Here's one of my favorite videos by one of my favorite groups featuring a cello:
Click here to listen to Beethoven's 5 Secrets
 Piano Guys in Red Butte Gardens

Look at the cellist's tear-streamed face as he plays his part, so joyously, KNOWING that he is doing exactly what he was called to do.

I mean it's really Glorious!
I wonder if we will look back on our lives and feel this overwhelming joy, the kind that causes tears to stream down our cheeks, when we realize we were EXACTLY where we were supposed to be… doing EXACTLY what we were supposed to be doing. Playing the melody that is ours to play!

I was once asked to perform in a small string quartet at an event. At the first rehearsal I realized all the instruments were taking turns playing a phrase at the exact moment it was my turn to repeat the phrase… Fear gripped my talent in deathlike grasp… I was so afraid to make a mistake I played it softly, so softly that even I could hardly hear it! The conductor looked down at my 14 year old face and smiled encouragingly and motioned for me to play louder. If we trust our creator to know what part we are to play in the great symphony of life, and envision His loving face encouraging us when it is our turn to shine, we can play out loudly and confidently… joining the whole earth in praise!
(Psalms 98:4-9)

I want to be happy 
adding my own sound to the symphony of life... 
just making my own melody measure after measure, day after day, year after year… I  hope I'm not too distracted by wishing to be what I'm not, and that I have the courage to play out strong when it's time for my melody to be heard. 

When our family was small, my mother played Prokofiev's Symphony "Peter and the Wolf" for us while we listened to the different sounds of the instruments, our imaginations creating the images of the exciting story. Something like this:

Listen here for a brief introduction to each of the instruments playing the theme for their character.


Even still to this day, Peter's carefree theme by the strings overshadowed by the french horns haunting melody portraying the wolf gives me an uneasy chill of dread. If you want to skip the scary part you can go straight to 21:20 where Peter triumphantly catches the wolf, too late for the duck, however.

An oboe is the ONLY instrument that could portray the melody for the doomed duck just as the clarinet the cat, the bassoon the grandpa, and you get the idea. How foolish would it be for an oboe to wish to sound like a cello. Very foolish indeed. The oboe really does a magnificent job of doing the melody justice in "Gabriel's Oboe" from the main theme of "The Mission" soundtrack.

 Click here to listen to "Gabriel's Oboe"

I mean, imagine Dueling Banjos with bassoons?!?!?
Click here

Okay…. enough… you get the idea! 
PLAY YOUR PART!




1 comment: