Wednesday, October 1, 2014

You Never Know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n-DOKBffuU

 My days were full of forgettable things.
--Neil Marriott, General Women's Mtg, Sept 2014

I loved the opening session of General Conference this year, the General Women's Meeting! The video Mormon Message called "You Never Know" was on my mind as I had watched it that day and read the comments underneath, some so critically picking it apart and focusing on the scripted events and responses chosen. Many seemed to completely miss the point … in fact they didn't even address the very TITLE of it and archly observed they should have done it differently…

Well, I totally recognized myself in ninety percent of the film! (Beautifully orchestrated by my dear friend Robert Elliott.) In fact, I felt like I was watching MY days with a busy husband, six involved children, aging nearby grandparents, all while performing church and community service to the best of my ability. "How on earth did I get through it?" were my thoughts as watched the video.

I discussed my feelings with my now grown daughter, not a mother yet but sincerely able to grasp my thoughts. Me: "You know I really related to how Neil Marriott said, 'My days were full of forgettable things as I folded laundry, drove carpool, and made casseroles.' It's all just a big blur now. A lot of things were pure drudgery, forgettable and unimportant, but service none the less…."

My daughter was silent for a minute and then said, "Well, everything you did was important to me!"

And in that sentence she succinctly summed up the whole point of the whole video. You never know…

2 comments:

  1. Love you and it was like watching my every day for the last couple weeks. I can totally remember you doing stuff too. You are so very loved and appreciated. You're still one of my favorite people to tell good news

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you can tell me good news anytime! I know you are in the thick of it, and doing a beautiful job! Someday little Megan will tell you the same thing. Love you tons!

      Delete